Dragonflies - Graffiti, Pink Parisian and Tin Tile Wings

Thought I would show you a few details of my latest dragonflies.

To see the others I've made in the past, 
just click the dragonflies/butterflies link on the 
left under Categories

I spotted these graffiti inspired metal plaques at Michaels craft store
and thought they would make interesting wings.

I cut wing shapes out with tin snips.

To further distress the metal, I beat the daylights out of them using a hammer,
chain, pliers and anything else I had within reach.
I rubbed a little brown paint on then wiped off leaving the color
in the dings I made.

A random swirled metal piece I put on the tail...

These are...well, not really sure what they are!
They seem to be made out of clay and they aren't buttons but
little decorative pieces that I thought would be fun to use for the eyes.

Here's another version made with the metal plaques.

For this dragonfly, I used 4 metal vintage ceiling tiles that I had on hand
for these wings...don't have a "before" pic.
I used the same process of cutting out wing shapes with tin snips but on
these I kept the existing tile color and painted the dragonfly body to match.

Funky little finial I had that I put on the end of the tail.

Wing closeup 

Vintage escutcheons for eyes and metal drawer pulls for antenna.

I cut these wings out of ceiling fan blades then painted.

Base of soft green with swirls, topped with distressed pink and
random fleur-de-lis stamped images. I gave it an
allover brown wash at the end to tone it all down.

More vintage metal drawer pulls for antenna and eyes.

I hope you aren't tired of my dragonflies because I will have a few more
 to show you soon using a fun technique with stencils and patching 
compound. Update...see them here.

I am no longer creating these dragonflies but visit my Etsy store
to see what I'm working on these days.
You can also find me on Facebook, Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest 

Thanks for stopping by!


Total Pageviews

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips