Fun Garden Signs


My Mom asked for a couple of garden signs and 
she sent me these two pics for inspiration of what she wanted

For the "Harvest Thyme" sign, I started with a scrap piece of wood
that I painted and antiqued.

I usually lightly draw my letter placement on with chalk 
then freehand my letters with paint.
When the paint is dry, I wipe off remaining chalk 
with a damp cloth

To funk it up, I used these brick ties that I found at Restore...  

Curled the ends of them, added beads and wire then attached 
onto the sign in small holes I drilled at the bottom.
But the top of the sign looked bare so...

I looked in here...and found this...

A yummy vintage door knob plate that I screwed into the top.

I added a hanging wire and this one was good to go.

For the second sign, I used more scrap lumber and 
attached them together using metal mending plates.

I also spotted these flower knobs and another
wooden flower piece in my stash and thought I would
incorporate them somehow.

Same process with the paint, antiquing and lettering...

I ended up drilling holes to accommodate the
flower knob "stems", then glued into place.

I layered these two flowers and sanded and distressed them.

It was pure luck that the colors were already just fine for this piece!

I added a hanging wire and it was done.

Oh, and I added a few painted vines on there as well.

Hope you enjoyed this quick project!

Come join me on FacebookPinterest
or browse my items on Etsy

Dragonflies - Graffiti, Pink Parisian and Tin Tile Wings

table-leg-dragonfly
Thought I would show you a few details of my latest dragonflies.

To see the others I've made in the past, 
just click the dragonflies/butterflies link on the 
left under Categories

I spotted these graffiti inspired metal plaques at Michaels craft store
and thought they would make interesting wings.

I cut wing shapes out with tin snips.

tin-sign-graffiti
To further distress the metal, I beat the daylights out of them using a hammer,
chain, pliers and anything else I had within reach.
I rubbed a little brown paint on then wiped off leaving the color
in the dings I made.

table-leg-dragonfly
A random swirled metal piece I put on the tail...

table-leg-dragonfly
These are...well, not really sure what they are!
They seem to be made out of clay and they aren't buttons but
little decorative pieces that I thought would be fun to use for the eyes.

Here's another version made with the metal plaques.

table-leg-dragonfly
For this dragonfly, I used 4 metal vintage ceiling tiles that I had on hand
for these wings...don't have a "before" pic.
I used the same process of cutting out wing shapes with tin snips but on
these I kept the existing tile color and painted the dragonfly body to match.

Funky little finial I had that I put on the end of the tail.

table-leg-dragonfly
Wing closeup 

Vintage escutcheons for eyes and metal drawer pulls for antenna.

hand-painted-dragonfly
I cut these wings out of ceiling fan blades then painted.

table-leg-dragonfly
Base of soft green with swirls, topped with distressed pink and
random fleur-de-lis stamped images. I gave it an
allover brown wash at the end to tone it all down.

pink-fleur-de-lis-dragonfly
More vintage metal drawer pulls for antenna and eyes.

I hope you aren't tired of my dragonflies because I will have a few more
 to show you soon using a fun technique with stencils and patching 
compound. Update...see them here.

I am no longer creating these dragonflies but visit my Etsy store
to see what I'm working on these days.
You can also find me on Facebook, Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest 

Thanks for stopping by!


New ETSY Store

My latest dragonfly and first addition to my Etsy store

A few close-ups of this one....

Rusty metal "eyes"...

Fun, multi-color wings made using wood shims

distressed body....

From the back...

Oh and I found a new source for antenna.
Do you have any of these?...

Lamp harps! They are my latest dragonfly antenna

Thanks for stopping by!

Find me on FacebookPinterest and my new Online Store

Easter Egg Door Hanging

A little Easter door hanging I just finished for an order.
They had seen this idea on Pinterest
and asked if I could make something similar...yes!

I cut an egg shape out of luan...
It's about 2' tall x 16" wide

Used a spray primer and spray paint for base coat...

Decided to do a little pattern in the middle, so 
I mixed glaze and paint...

and used one of those rubber...pattern maker things (?) to make a design

eh...don't love it...

Instead, I used my big pattern tool I made a long time ago 
by cutting out notches in a squeegee

Had fun painting it...she asked for blue, yellow and purple

I used a piece of chalk to lightly draw the name, 
and get the placement right....

 ...then painted it out in black...

painted the back...

drilled holes to add a ribbon...

Added cute spring ribbon...

and it's ready for the door!

Join me on Facebook and Pinterest too

Painted Ceiling Medallions

A client hired me to paint her new ceiling medallions, 
They are about 3 feet in diameter. 
She contacted me to paint them before they were installed...
Yay!...my neck was happy about that

This was a quick project and I only snapped pics with my phone.

I sprayed with a reddish brown paint for the base.
When that was dry I started applying watered down
black paint to get in all the nooks and crannies....

This is one of them after the black paint had dried

Then I dry brushed with a metallic paint.
In this pic, the bottom one has been brushed with metallic, 
the top one has not

They looked much better than my phone pics are leading you to believe...


detail...

Before and After

Find me on Facebook and Pinterest too!

Total Pageviews

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips