I've always wanted one of those huge "leaner" mirrors
so I made my own
I bought a 5 1/2 foot mirror on Craigslist for $20...
Forgot to take the "before" pic with the mirror in it!
My mom gave me these muntins from her french doors that
she wasn't going to use and I wanted to incorporate them somehow...
I saw this photo online from Ballard Designs Catalog
so I used it for inspiration in adding the muntins
I bought and cut 1 x 4's to add another frame layer around the
mirror's existing frame and attached using a nail gun.
I played around with the muntins and started cutting it into sections with a miter saw...
This is the pattern I ended up with.
I attached the muntins to the wood frame with finishing nails
Gave it a base coat of dark brown
I used my new General Finishes Milk Paint,
I'm loving this paint, the coverage is incredible.
General Finishes generously sent me samples of their milk paints
since I had written ...unsolicited...about how I love their gel stain. I wasn't required to
give any kind of review but I'm mentioning these paints because I'm really impressed!
I used dark chocolate which is almost the same color as
their Java gel stain that I used to makeover my
After I had the base coat, I knew it was looking too plain for me,
it needed something, so I decided to use the Dremel to carve zebra stripes.
I have a tutorial of sorts about carving on a nightstand with the dremel
if you would like to see more.
I drew a quick pattern on with white chalk...
and started carving.
This is after carving...
I love the look but it had too much contrast for me so
I planned on toning it down using metallic gold paint.
You can see a little gold glaze in that left hand corner where I was playing around,
then I got all involved and forgot to take more pics of the painting process.
It's going in my bedroom but I took it to the living room where I have a little more light
to take a few pics, but it is still a challenge to take photos of a mirror.
...I promise I do have other clothes besides my paint clothes.
I ended up brushing gold glaze over the entire brown base coat...
I used this can of translucent gold glaze I found at Restore for $2, can't beat that!
After the gold was dry I dry brushed a little more brown on top of that to
bring out the texture.
I dry brushed more gold on all the muntins too.
It is 3 inches shy of 6 feet and it is heavy!...
which is why it's on those furniture sliders right now
It has been in my bedroom a long time with just the plain wood frame so this
is a big improvement
I'm liking how it turned out!
If you want to take a closer look at the dresser in the reflection,
click here, it's one of my favorite pieces :)
Thanks for checking it out...
stop by my Etsy store to see what's new