Here's a fun little furniture makeover I did recently for my home.
You might remember from another post that I remarried in March
so we we've been busy combining our households, getting rid of things or purchasing new
things and, in this case, revamping a few too.
This wooden cabinet was something my husband has had for
a long time and he gave me the go ahead to do whatever I wanted to it.
It's a sturdy piece and I thought it had potential to become something more our style...
Because the little country house isn't going to cut it!
No offense if this is your style, it's just not for me :)
Starting from the bottom, this is what I did...and didn't do!
I had the idea to add a curvy corner piece and cut the door to fit it,
so I did that, but...
After it was all mounted and the door cut, I realized how much better
THIS corbel would work, so I changed them out... and yes
I had already glued and screwed the previous piece into place.
Here is the new corbel, luckily, it's larger so it didn't really
affect my new cuts in the door. I like this version much better.
This is a very old corbel so it probably is coated with lead paint, I left it
as is and dry brushed a few colors on top of it then sealed with poly.
I didn't really have an exact plan on colors so I just played and
layered colors as I went.
For the drawer, I had a large, rusty and aged metal house number "0"
so I cut an opening in the drawer to match the number and
attached it as the "drawer pull". Someone on my Facebook page
said it looked like a mouth...and it kind of does! LOL
I painted the sides in stripes and the inside in a deep purpley pink,
I think that color looks great with the turquoise drawer front.
Right above the drawer, I cut out the little area on the back
just to mix it up and have another area to add a fun element.
I had this metal plaque, the kind you hang on the wall,
and I used it to fill that open area.
I simply screwed it in from the back and left it pretty much the same color.
For the doors, I removed the inserts, with the country hearts on them, (ugh)....
I had a pair of large decorative metal clock hands and thought
they would be fun as the inserts...
I turned them different directions and mounted from the inside.
I decided to paint the inside of the cabinet behind the doors
in layered turquoise and aqua colors.
I edged the fronts of the shelves in thumbtacks, painted right over them in turquoise,
washed with brown and wiped off the excess.
Have I mentioned how much I love thumbtacks? Oh yeah, just a few times...
...just to name a few.
Search for "thumbtacks" on my blog, you'll see...they are totally underrated.
The original doors had cute little white porcelain knobs that I removed,
(of course I saved them, they are perfect dragonfly eyes), but I wanted
something more colorful, and I wanted them in a different spot on the door.
I had a colorful ceramic knob I wanted to use...just one, but of course I needed two.
So I painted a pair of wooden finials in the style of the ceramic knob and coated with
glossy Rustoleum Laquer for a ceramic look.
They are much more shiny than this photo is showing.
For the very top of the cabinet, I wanted a pediment of some sort.
I had half a clock face leftover from one of my colorful architectural angels
and that was my jumping off point, but...it needed something else...
This is a set of resin plaques I used to have hanging on my wall.
I decided to incorporate part of it as well, so I cut it apart...
It actually cut pretty easily with the jigsaw and I left it the same color
and touched up the cut ends with paint.
I attached the resin piece with glue to the clock face and secured
the whole shebang to the top of the cabinet.
I also added a little carved wooden piece from a chair to this top area.
The "knob" for the bottom door is literally a fragment from another
carved wooden piece and I brushed on turquoise paint over the
original brown finish.
I attached to the door with a little screw...
I painted the inside of the bottom door as well as the
inside of the cabinet and added a few stripes on the shelf edge.
I added lots of layers of color to the front of the cabinet door.
In my mind, when painting colorful pieces, I think they can all benefit
from a touch of black, or a black and white combo. I use the black and white
checks and stripes a lot in my pieces and this was no exception.
I added stripes in the middle...
On little side "support" pieces I added...
On the insides of the legs...
There's really no place left unpainted on this piece!
Like I mentioned, I ended up layering different colors on the whole
piece, sanding a bit or wiping off as I went to get a nice aged effect.
I also washed everything with thinned brown paint and wiped off to tone
it all down.
I wasn't super careful when combining and layering the colors,
I wanted a whimsical, artsy look.
So there you have it...
Country to funky.
Thank you so much for reading about my cabinet makeover!
Etsy shop to see what's new!